Sunday, January 29, 2012

Danger. I got pintrested.

So... three days or so ago I succumbed to the call of Pintrest. I resisted a REALLY long time, but who are we kidding. As my sister said: "It was so made with you in mind it should have been called 'Jessa Decker Smith-interest'." 

So I caved. And I have been pinning up a veritable storm of pins. Here's the twist, I fully intend to act on them. I even have a board called, DO THIS NOW. And I'm totally gonna. 

So, on that note, I shall report to you here on this blog all the ideas I found on pintrest that I have decided to take on. 

So, for my first one (ok, second if you count the sock bun, which I have tried but not yet mastered), I worked up a holder for a charging cell phone from Make It and Love It. It's downright genius and uses items I have on hand. Double bonus.
Above is the original pinned photo which links to a tutorial for this very smart idea. Way to go Make it Love it folks. Well done.

And here's mine:
Pretty awesome! It was my first mod podge experience and I must say, I enjoyed it. 

So much so that I went ahead and made on for Hazel's baby monitor:
It was so easy and fun and it took about 30 minutes total. That's my kind of project. (And yes, I decoupaged the fabric backwards on this second one, with the seam ending up in the front. Live and learn). 

And now, to feed two birds with one scone, I tested out a second pintrest idea whilst I was making the above. It was a home-made inexpensive mod podge recipe. I bought name brand mod podge and made my own per this recipe to compare. 
Do It Yourself Divas offered a very simple recipe for DIY mod podge - 50% Elmers, 50% water. I think I had too much water in my ratio, but I gotta say, I think the mod podge has a leg up on the homemade version. The homemade will definitely work, but I think mod was slightly better. 

So now I have a Pintrest Board called "Saw it on Pintrest and Made it" to show all the inspiration I've gotten from pintrest and followed. 

I'm hooked. 




3 comments:

  1. dangerous indeed! yet another inspiring time suck, 'eh? but you made the best of it by giving yourself the impetus to do, not just look. way to go!

    btw, i bought one bottle of mod podge in h.s. and thought, "this is just watered down glue!" and never purchased it again. but then again, i only ever used watered-down glue for piddly projects. your more professional-looking ones might need the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this too but now I'm somehow MORE inspired to make it? Maybe that'll be our afternoon project. Yay for Pinterest! Oh and I like the "saw it/ made it" board. I may have to pull a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally have done the sock bun. The first day I wore it in public, I kept smiling because I had a sock in my hair! See this people? I have a SOCK... in my hair. Love it! (But I am a bit bobby-pin challenged). So I saw that on Pinterest but my thought was..... will it not catch on fire because it's touching the actual plug thingy? :) NEUROTIC much?

    ReplyDelete