Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Introductions


I think I put the blogpost cart before the horse. So, let's go back a step. Let me introduce myself.

I am Jessa. Second sister of 4. Wife of The Fella for dangerously close to ten years now. I have lived a migratory life, but am currently nestled in Colorado, while The Fella works on his PhD. We're content here, but could be anywhere in 5 years.

I am the happy Mama to two of the sweetest little wonderboys on the planet and I spend my days in stitches at their antics. They are two and a half and uh, a half.

I have a Bachelors in Communication. It's practical and I have used it for real jobs, which I guess is the point. I have a Master of Fine Arts in Pottery (which I promise is a real thing). Until October 2008 I was a full time potter with work in over 40 galleries across the U.S. You can see the work of that season here. More on that later I'm sure.

In October 2008 - my elder boy child got mobile. Until that point I did Decker-Smith Pottery with him in tow. In fact, on my way to the hospital to birth him, I stopped to unload my kiln. Whilst in labor. Contractions and all.

After he was born, I just kept at it. I strapped him to my body and went back to the wheel. Looking back, I'm amazed that year didn't kill us both.

But mobility broke the camel's (that's me) back. Thank goodness.

In October 2008 I decided to give us a break. Two short months later, confirmed on my husband's birthday, we discovered we would welcome another baby in the coming year. So it just made sense to extend my hiatus and put Decker-Smith Pottery on the back burner.

And welcome him we did. Sweet Baby A, the little mouse, is a ball of love and he has added so much joy to our days.

So now I scratch the crafty itch in other ways. Lots of 'em. But more often than not I sew. I started when E-man was about 10 months old with the simple, one seam pants seen above, which I still make. But now they have enough dorky matching home sewn outfits. They're set. So it's time to send some of that handmade goodness out into the world.

Enter: The Etsy Shop

It just seemed natural to start Happily Home Sewn the blog in conjunction with starting Happily Home Sewn the Shop.

What you'll find here is the chronicles of our crafty adventures. You might come across some ideas you want to try. And I hope you'll send me some of yours too. You'll see our successful projects, and some screw ups I'm sure. I hope you'll see how creating teaches and nurtures me and my boys, and maybe even get inspired.

So. Welcome! Let me know who you are and what you think. I'd love to know who I'm talking to, if anybody.

Now. Let's get crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment